AN ADVENTURE IN WASTING TIME

Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2011

The Day of Darkness

"You couldn't save a civilisation, but you did save one man."


I have the same bitter-sweet feeling on reaching the end of The Aztecs as I did with Marco Polo. Some relief at being able to move on from a historical story, but regret at leaving such well drawn characters as Cameca, Autloc and Tlotoxl. All of these characters are still alive at the end of the story. Cameca's farewell to the Doctor is so moving, "Think of me, think of me." William Hartnell later acts beautifully in the scene in the tomb where the Doctor puts down what Cameca has given him, only to snatch it up again as he enters the TARDIS.

Autloc, delicately and intelligently portrayed by Keith Pyott, maintains his dignity throughout and effectively leaves the Aztecs to their fate as he begins his secular life in the wilderness.

And Tlotoxl finds himself in a stronger position than ever.

I was pleased that Ian had the presence of mind to scoop up the pulley that the Doctor makes to open the tomb; I wonder what the Aztecs would have made of it? Not being able to change history is the main tenet of the story and so, perhaps, they would just have seen it as a meaningless symbol of a false god, who knows?

This story is another example of all elements of the production coming together to make a wonderful whole. Costume, lighting, set design, music, writing, acting and direction all combine admirably. With hindsight, this is unsurprising when you look at the calibre of the people listed in the end credits.

If you've been watching the DVD as I have, do make a cup of tea and enjoy the extras. Barry Newberry is delightful, and insightful, and 'Remembering the Aztecs' is very revealing. Walter Randall, by his own admission, can't act and isn't very engaging, but John Ringham more than makes up for it and does a great turn as an experienced thesp. I most enjoyed lovely Ian Cullen who is engaging and positive and really 'gets' Dr Who. Recorded a few years before the astonishing revival of the series, his last comments prove very apt.


And so it's a rather sad goodbye to the Aztecs for us, but a very welcome one for the occupants of the TARDIS, who have rarely looked keener to escape a situation.

Now, for me at least, this is where it gets really interesting. I have a love for the earliest Dr Who stories which has, as I've mentioned before, resulted in a little overfamiliarity with them. This is no bad thing, but now I start to enter less well known territory. The next escapade is a science-fiction story which adds to the excitement. And, as I recall, it has one of the best opening episodes. I have a huge fondness for parts one of classic Dr Who stories which I shall explore with you as this blog progresses. Join me soon for,

Next episode: Strangers in Space